Friday, March 27, 2009

RESOURCE UTILIZATION

A key factor which adds value to performance is complete utilization of resources.

Following is a powerful illustration!


Buddha, one day, was on deep thought about the worldly activities and the ways of instilling goodness in humans.


One of his disciples approached him and said humbly "Oh teacher! While you are so concerned about the world and others, why don't you look in to the welfare and needs of your own disciples as well?"

Buddha: "OK…Tell me how I can help you"

Disciple: "Master! My attire is worn out and is beyond the decency to wear. Can I get a new one, please?"

Buddha found that the robe indeed was in bad condition which needed replacement. He asked the store keeper to give the disciple a new robe to wear on. The disciple thanked Buddha and retired to his room.

Though he met his disciple's requirement, Buddha was not content with his decision. He realized he had missed out some points. A while later, he realized what he should have asked the disciple.

He went to his disciple's room and asked him, "Is your new attire comfortable? Do you need anything more?"

Disciple: "Thank teacher. The attire is indeed very comfortable. I need nothing more"

Buddha: "Having got the new one, what did you do with your old attire?"

Disciple: "I am using it as my bed spread"

Buddha "Hope you have disposed off your old bed spread"

Disciple "No, no master. I am using my old bedspread as my window curtain"

Buddha "What about your old Curtain?"

Disciple "Being used to handle hot utensils in the kitchen"

Buddha: "Oh! I see…Can you tell me what did they do with the old cloths they used in kitchen?"

Disciple: "Being used to wash the floor."

Buddha "And the old rags being used to wash the floor?"

Disciple "Master, since they were torn, we could not find any better use, but as a twig in the oil lamp, which is right now lit in your study room...."

BUDDHA SMILED IN CONTENTMENT AND LEFT FOR HIS ROOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...